The Coastal Park was created in 1784 when a huge landslip produced a new strip of land between the beach and the new cliff line. The land was farmed and cows were led down the cliff face to graze on pastures.
The land was owned by Lord Radnor and during the 1870′s new paths were constructed leading from The Leas into the Park. Other recreational features were added including the Victoria Pier, Switchback rollercoaster style ride, The Leas Shelter and the Leas Bandstand. The Switchback ride was severely damaged by a storm in 1909 and was dismantled. The Leas Shelter became the present day Leas Cliff Hall following extensive refurbishment and The Leas Bandstand has recently been completely refurbished.
The Park deteriorated over the years but in 1999, following successful funding applications Shepway District Council embarked on an extensive 3 phase regeneration scheme.
As seen from the Leas Cliff Hall.